Whew! That’s a long title, wouldn’t ya say? But I just couldn’t leave anything out. Not the chicken. Not the penne pasta. Definitely not the creamy part. And the 30 minutes? I mean really, a 30 minute dinner recipe? Yep, it’s all there in this 30 Minute Creamy Baked Penne Pasta with Chicken, Spinach and Tomato recipe.
We’re been here before, friends. Remember those baked chicken thighs in creamy garlic and spinach sauce (also a 30 minute quick and easy recipe BTW)? It’s one of my more popular recipes, which is why we needed another one! But with pasta, and tomato and, like, a whole meal baked in one pan.
I’ve always been so fascinated with how busy moms and professionals can get dinner on the table is no time. A home cooked dinner! We don’t even have any little ones running around and I struggle to get a decent meal together in under an hour. The key is prepping as much as you can before the crazy workweek starts. For example, I’ll cook and dice up two pounds of chicken on Sunday and store four ounces in zip lock bags to put in salads, soups and pastas, which is exactly what I did with this pasta recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Medium skillet
- Large skillet
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring Spoons
What makes this sauce creamy and perfectly thick is the roux (pronounced “ROO”), which, in this case, is a mixture of flour and butter. Simply melt in the butter at low heat, whisk in the flour and a roux is born.
You actually don’t have to bake this dish. But I like how the sauce settles and the cheese melts over the top. AND you can use the baking time to throw together a salad or cook a vegetable or another side to go with the meal.
Also, if you don’t have chicken stock on hand, you can replace the stock with one cup of water and add a chicken bullion cube when you add the water and cream together.
If you like this recipe then you’ll love my newsletter, where I occasionally share baking tips and more recipe inspiration. Sign up if you want more of this awesomeness delivered to your inbox!
There are affiliate links in this post, which means I may receive a little cash money if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Seasonly Creations.
30 Minute Creamy Baked Penne Pasta with Chicken, Spinach and Tomatoes
Aren’t we all looking for quick and easy dinner recipes? Well here’s another one you’ll want to save! This creamy baked pasta recipe has chicken, spinach, tomato and more!
Author: Nicole Cline
Recipe type: Dinner, Baking
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced and separated
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basil, shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta as directed by manufacturer.
- In the meantime, mix one of the diced tomatoes with the parmesan cheese in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- In a small skillet, melt butter on low heat. Whisk in flour once butter is melted. Continue to whisk until the mixture becomes thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large oven proof skillet, sautee garlic in olive oil. Add other diced tomato and sautee of another minute. Add chicken stock and cream, then salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Once at a boil, whisk in the flour and butter mixture. Continue to whisk until sauce becomes thick. Add chicken, penne and spinach and mix together until all ingredients are combined. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle tomato and parmesan mixture over the top. Bake for 8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Serve immediately.
If you don’t have chicken stock on hand, you can replace the stock with 1 cup of water and add a chicken bullion cube when you add the water and cream together.