Lately, I’ve been all about the “grab-n-go” breakfast, which I recently talked about in my newsletter (you can sign up for that here). Even though I get up super early to fit in my workout, there are some mornings where I feel incredibly rushed. So I almost always have my breakfast ready so I’m not starving through these super busy mornings. Enter my Giant Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Muffins.
Side note, I try (keyword, try) to keep it healthy. Some of my healthy, quick and easy breakfast recipes include my Sun Dried Tomato and Spinach Frittata and my Triple Berry Low-Cal Breakfast Smoothie.
But what fun is it to eat healthy 100% of the time? Exactly. I’m not saying muffins are unhealthy, it just depends on the type of muffin and the ingredients used to make them!
Soooooo many reasons to love breakfast muffin recipes. You don’t have to dig out any equipment for one. A couple bowls and a spoon are about as crazy as it gets there. They’re also freezable, which is perfect if you’re a healthy eater but like the occasional carbo-loaded breakfast muffin. (*Raises both hands*). And the flavor possibilities are endless.
This Giant Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Muffin recipe makes more than enough for six big ol’muffins (BTW, this is the giant muffin pan I use). In addition to the grated apple, I added applesauce for extra flavor and moisture.
There’s nothing complicated about this recipe but we gotta talk lumps. Yes, muffin batter lumps (not whatever other lumps you’re thinking…). You must RESIST beating out all the lumps in the batter. Those lumps are flour pockets and help keep the crumb from becoming gummy (no one likes a gummy muffin!).
Instead, when putting your wet and dry ingredients together, use a spoon (not a whisk or fork) to stir it all together and stop stirring once the ingredients are combined.
If you’re into these muffins, you should also check out my Orange Walnut Muffin recipe (which includes a FREE printable!) here.
P.S. -Don’t have a giant muffin pan or large liners? Here’s the large six cup muffin pan and large liners I use.
There are affiliate links in this post, which means I may receive a little cash money if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Seasonly Creations.
Giant Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Muffins
Quick and easy large Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Muffins, no mixer needed! Moist and full of fall flavor, these breakfast muffins are your perfect way to start the morning.
Author: Nicole Cline
Serves: 6 large muffins
- 2¾ cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup grated apple
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large muffin pan (six cups) with large paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar by hand. Then add milk, applesauce, oil and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix with a spoon or spatula until just combined. Fold in the grated apples.
- Pour batter into each muffin cup liner nearly to the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for 15 minutes, then serve immediately. Store in an airtight container or store in the freezer for up to two months.
Do not beat out the lumps in the batter! Some small pockets of flour are necessary to achieve the right crumb and will ensure the texture doesn’t become gummy.