When life gives you lemons, make these Lemon Almond Spring Cookies! These light, zesty treats are a must right now. Perfect dessert for Spring parties, entertaining or just having for the cookie jar (although, the latter could be dangerous!).
I think what really makes this cookie recipe unique is the lemon/sugar/almond mixture that each cookies gets coated in before baking.
Instead of using my hands to flatten the cookies, I sued the bottom of my measuring cup 🙂
Bake for just 12-14 minutes and voila! You have Lemon Almond Spring Cookies.
In case you haven’t noticed, I love lemony things, especially this time of year. What other recipes do you want to see on this blog using lemon?
- 1 cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar, plus additional ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- confectioners sugar for sifting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a standing mixing bowl or a bowl large enough to accommodate a handheld mixer, beat sugar and shortening at medium speed. Add egg and beat until well incorporated.
- Add one tablespoon of lemon zest and almond extract, beat until incorporated.
- Add flour and salt, beat until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to combine other tablespoon of lemon zest, ⅓ cup of sugar and slivered almonds.
- Using hands, roll dough into one inch balls and roll into the sugar, lemon, almond mixture. Place each coated ball on baking sheet.
- Flatten each ball and bake for 12-14 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheet and place on a cooling rack immediately. Sift confectioners sugar over cookies if desired. Store in air-tight container.