Holy December, are you serious? In less than three weeks, Christmas will be here and… shopping? Haven’t even started that yet. BUT I have been getting ready for my annual Christmas cookie gift giving. Christmas cookies. As gifts. Because… they’re delicious, usually freezable and made with a dash of extra love. Pretty much the best gift of all time, right? And this year, these Slice and Bake Christmas Sugar Cookies are the first batch.
This no-roll Christmas sugar cookie recipe is ideal if you’re not into messy, floury, sugar cookie projects. (BTW, if you are, check out my post on How to Make Elegant Snowflake Sugar Cookies, step by step instructions included!). And Christmas cookie making and baking is the best way to avoid your shopping duties 🙂 (Pssst! I also have a list of 50 gift ideas for bakers, a list where you can get it all online. Score for all my shopping crowd avoiders).
Anyway, back to these festive sugar cookies. I guess the first thing I should tell you is they are pretty sweet. No, really. Like, actually sugary sweet. Not too over the top, but def on the sweet side.
The second thing I should mention is you’ll need a large, sharp chef’s knife to slice the cookies once the dough has firmed up in the refrigerator. This knife set is my go-to.
There are only four main steps involved. First, sort out your dry ingredients and sift them together in a medium sized bowl.
Second, cream the butter and sugar together on high speed. You’re looking for a light, creamy consistency. Then add your egg and extract and beat on high again for about two minutes.
To form the dough, stir in the flour mixture. Keyword here, stir. You don’t want to over do it so stir the flour just until it’s incorporated and starts to form cookie dough. Then stir in the sprinkles (optional, but you’d be crazy not to use these). Then, form the dough into two logs, wrap them up and refrigerate them for two hours.
And finally, slice the dough into 1/4 inch slices and bake.
Whew, I see you made it to the end! If you’re looking for more Christmas cookie inspiration, follow my Christmas Cookie Recipe board on Pinterest.
Or, if you’re into the whole baking scene, sign up for my free newsletter, where I share the best baking recipes and tips from around the web.
There are affiliate links in this post.
Slice and Bake Christmas Sugar Cookies
This no-roll, easy Christmas Sugar Cookie recipe is simply slice and bake, no messy flour surfaces needed! Add this to your holiday sugar cookie recipe collection ASAP and click through for the full recipe!
Serves: 24 cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup confetti sprinkles
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt together, set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar on medium to high speed using a mixer. Continue to beat until creamy. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until light and fluffy, about two minutes.
- Stir the flour mixture into butter mixture, just until the dough is formed. Do not over mix. Form the dough into two logs, about two inches thick and wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill dough in refrigerator for two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut dough into ¼ inch slices and place on lined baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the cookie slices about two inches apart from each other. Bake 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool for two minutes on the baking sheet before removing. Store in an air tight container.