Oh, how I heart peanut butter. It is the best ingredient and the worst, all wrapped up in one. The best for obvious reasons and the worst because it’s sooooooo hard to stop eating. Who the heck eats only two tablespoons!? The good news is there’s waaaayyyyy more than just two tablespoons of peanut butter in this Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookie recipe 🙂
I grew up making all kinds of baked goods when I was a kid (surprise!), especially cookies. But I didn’t make too many batches of peanut butter cookies. And boy, did it show while I was testing out this recipe! The thing to remember when measuring out peanut butter cookie dough is that the dough swells and really poofs out. That’s why I didn’t completely flatten each cookie, I simply pressed a fork into each one, gently. If they’re too large when you first place them on the baking sheets, they will grow so much, you may end up with a sheet of fused peanut butter cookies. No one wants that!
Here’s the equipment you’ll need for this peanut butter cookie recipe:
- Cookie sheets
- Two large mixing bowls
- Wire whisk
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Rubber spatula
- Wire rack
- Handheld mixer or standing mixer
I try to make sure my recipes aren’t too complicated and are straightforward; I’m happy to report this recipe is no different! I adapted the recipe from Mark Bittman’s How to Bake Everything cookbook (amazing book BTW, you should grab yourself a copy).
Start by combining all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. This step should take about two minutes. Then add the peanut butter (a whole cup!), then the egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and we’ve got peanut butter cookie dough!
Next step is to drop the cookie dough by tablespoonfuls and roll each into a ball. I like to batch this process by measuring out all of the dough into tablespoonfuls, then rolling them into balls, then placing them about two inches apart from each other on the lined baking sheets. It’s just more efficient this way 😉
Then, using the back of a fork, gently press on each cookie to make the #hashtag and bake on the top rack for 8-10 minutes. If you bake these cookies on the bottom rack, you risk burning the bottoms. Not cool.
Do you have a favorite peanut butter recipe? Share with me in the comments!
There are affiliate links in this post, which means I may receive a little cash money if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Seasonly Creations.
Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
Super easy, soft and peanut buttery, peanut butter cookie recipe. This quick cookie recipe takes only 10 minutes to bake and just two mixing bowls! Great if you’re in need of a dessert recipe or save as a future Christmas cookie recipe!
Author: Nicole Cline
Recipe type: Cookies
Serves: 36 cookies
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter and beat until just combined. Add egg and vanilla until just combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the wet mixture until just combined.
- Drop dough by the tablespoonful about two inches apart from each other on lined baking sheets.
- Roll each dough drop into a ball. Then gently flatten the cookies using the back of a fork as pictured above. Dip the fork in water if the dough is sticky.
- Bake cookies 8-10 minutes on the top rack. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for about two minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Dip the fork in water if the cookie dough sticks to the fork while pressing the cookies.
Recipe adapted from How to Bake Everything (Peanut Butter Cookies)